Diagnosis and Treatment of PTSD in Emergency Service Workers
Emergency Service Workers are one of the high-risk groups for trauma exposure and are more vulnerable to developing mental health problems. These mental health conditions have significant impact on their employment, family, relationships and wellbeing. This online interactive workshop focuses on diagnosis and referral pathways to support the management of emergency service workers.
GPs often play a central role in the provision of healthcare to communities in the immediate, acute phase of emergency situations, and on an ongoing basis for the long-term recovery of individuals and their broader community.
This workshop has been designed with a focus on GPs, to diagnose patients with acute stress disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder and other comorbidities. Evidence based guidelines will be used as the foundation to appropriately diagnose and identify treatment pathways including recommended referrals, trauma focused psychological therapy and psychological first aid to help support their management of emergency service workers. The training may also be relevant to other health professionals.
This training aims to increase participants’ skills and confidence to:
1. Understand the relationship between traumatic events and the development of mental health conditions
2. Identify evidence-based treatment and referral pathways for a patient impacted by trauma
3. Recommend evidence-based resources, including e-Mental Health, for family/kinship groups impacted by trauma
GP Registrars, GPs
1. Understanding the context of Emergency Service Workers
2. Diagnosing PTSD
3. Your role
4. Self-care for practitioners
1. Recognise responses to trauma in emergency service workers, their families and kinship groups
2. Identify validated screening and assessment tools for common mental health conditions related to trauma
3. Apply evidence-based treatment/management plan for a patient impacted by trauma
4. Identify a range of appropriate referral pathways and collaborative care options
5. Identify and use self-care strategies and resources to manage their own mental health and wellbeing
FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM
The Grant Program for Emergency Services Workers trauma Care, including PTSD support services, is funded by the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs.
This workshop discusses PTSD and trauma. We understand this can be a difficult topic to discuss, especially for people who have lived experience of PTSD. We ask you to take care of your mental health and wellbeing when deciding to attend this workshop.