The Australian Government has agreed to seven key priorities for targeted work by PHNs. These are:
- Mental health
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health
- Population health
- Health workforce
- Digital health
- Aged care
- Alcohol and other drugs
For further information please refer to the PHN Program Guidelines.
WAPHA is cognisant of the poor health status of special population groups such as Aboriginal people and people with severe mental illness.
Similarly the population groups, whilst vulnerable, can be overrepresented in ‘potentially preventable hospital admissions’ due to a failure in primary care.
By taking a systemic population approach the commissioning process will by necessity need to bring together both social and primary care to plan for high impact solutions.
In collaboration with Area Health Services and hospitals, the PHNs will need to assess how to best:
- Improve care in the community
- Improve pathways to and from care
- Build workforce capability with regard to complex and co-occurring illness
- Enable and leverage system improvement