Supporting Older People Transitioning between the Hospital and Community
February 22 @ 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
The Aged Care Department at Rockingham General Hospital (RGH) and WAPHA have partnered to bring you a workshop that focuses on supporting frail older people as they transition between hospital services and primary care. The workshop aims to involve GPs who refer older persons to RGH who could potentially benefit from the newly introduced Aged Care Transition and Liaison Service (ACTaLN).
Topics covered include:
- Challenges in caring for frail older patients: the Rockingham experience – Dr Helen Thomas
- ‘Frailty’: what is it? – Dr Heather Lane
- Interventions for the frail patient: the evidence base – Dr Mugunthan Krishneswaran
- Polypharmacy: myth or reality – Dr Nisha Antony
- Patient case study – Deb Jones ACTaLN Clinical nurse
Central to the workshop will be a discussion about the new ACTaLN service and how it can support older patients who are identified as at risk of ‘failed discharge’, poor health and social outcomes, prolonged hospital stay and readmission.
The aim of the service is to support older people on discharge from the hospital, ensure that they have a clearly communicated care plan, and are successfully reconnected with community based medical, pharmacy and social services.
Date: Thursday, 22 February 2018
Time: 5:30pm – 8:00pm
Venue: Main Lecture Theatre, Education Centre, Rockingham General Hospital, Elanora Dr, Cooloongup WA 6168
Register: To register please fill in the form below.